There is no denying that the San Diego Museum of Art is a gem inside Balboa Park. There is no denying as well that the Timken Museum of Art in Balboa Park’s Plaza de Panama is a little shining jewel on its own. In fact, I found rare collections at Timken Museum of Art that I did not see at San Diego Museum of Art.
From 14th-century altarpieces through 18th-century portraits and landscapes to 19th-century still life paintings, the collection is superb. No wonder that the Timken is considered one of the finest small museums in the world.
Tips from Timken Museum of Art.
1. Service animals are welcome, but pets are not allowed.
2. Eating and drinking are not permitted in the museum.
3. Photography and video are allowed unless otherwise stated (some special exhibits prohibit photography and videography).
4. Please refrain from talking on your mobile phone in the galleries.
5. Very important: Please don’t touch the priceless works of art.
Hours and Fees.
The museum is open from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and Sundays 12:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and is closed on Mondays and all major holidays. Admission is always FREE.
The museum is right beside the San Diego Botanical Building. Exact location: 1500 El Prado, San Diego, California 92101
Ready to travel? Where to stay in San Diego, California.
You can search for a hotel below.
See also: My other travel adventures in the USA.
See also: List of National Parks.